About Me

My photo
I am a story teller! I love reading like crazy! and love every thing creative! Just love life! and hate it the same way! ("NUTTY" frankly!)

Monday, February 20, 2012

Getting reaqquianted with an old friend

Been going through the entire blog to see if I had mentioned her before, apperantly not. So I have to recount the history of our friendship.
I occationally visit the gangarama temple, and there was a time when I had to go there early in the morning for about two weeks at a streach. During this time I made friends with both Raja and the parrots who come to feed in the morning. I will put up some of the parrots pics later whrn I can dig them up.

Now you better be wondring who Raja is, because that is what I wil tell you next. He was the owner of the second longest pair of tusks in Asia, untill he passed away last year. But when I was visiting the temple in the early hours he was very much alive and active. I saw that most people buy cooking leaves from the person who bring them to the temple kitchen and feed him. So naturaly I had to start feeding him too. Somedays I would take some rasakinda (herbal plant) that used to grow at home. Raja loved them, and would start dancig, literraly dancing when he see the bag. It was fun and gave me so much joy to see his reaction. Also no matter how much you give him food it will never be enough!

It was during one of these visits that I met ganga, she was sort of visiting the temple to partipate in the katina perahara. I fed her a couple of times too. But she had to go back.


After Raja's death they had brought her back to stay permanently. When I visited the temple recently, I saw her but it was only the day before yesterday that I could pey her a proper visit. She is the cutest baby elephant, with adorable behavior! With two mini tusks hidden behind her mouth, only about six feet tall and only eight years old. First day I paid her a short visit and asked the caretaker if it is ok to bring her food. He said it was ok. So the next day I set off with a ripe big watermellon in my bag and my cousine sister by my side to visit her. The moment I went near her I told her that we brought her somefood, her reaction was to start dancing, well at least the closest thing an elephant could do to dancing. When the water mellon finally came out of the bag, (by the time we got there it had found refuge right at the bottom of my backpack) the caretaker cut it in pieces. Feeding her was no trouble, all we had to do was to hold it in front of her and she would grab it with her little trunk. My sister and I took turns feeding her. When all two killos of the watermellon had dissapeard she would still streatch her trunk asking for more! Naturaly being an elephant that was not enough, poor gal. Next time I visit her I'll get her more.



Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Tell me Tell me!!!!!!!!!!